Dianna Nathan, AuD, CCC-A, AU2626
(619) 427-5626 #4

Amy Kalenderian, AuD, CCC-A, AU3109
(619) 427-5626 #4

Educational audiologists complete hearing evaluations as determined by district and/or IEP team, recommend accommodations for instruction, assist students with their amplification and FM systems (when appropriate), and consult with staff on listening needs and classroom accommodations.
Location of services: services are generally provided at student’s school or service provider office.


How can my student receive audiological services?

Contact your school site to discuss eligibility for audiological services. In accordance with California Education Code Title 5, Section 3030, deafness means a hearing impairment that is so severe that the child is impaired in processing linguistic information through hearing, with or without amplification that adversely affects a child’s educational performance. Hearing impairment means an impairment in hearing, whether permanent or fluctuating, that adversely affects a child’s educational performance but that is not included under the definition of deafness in this section.

What is an FM system?

An FM system is one which helps overcome distance and noise through either a speaker system or device that connects directly to a student’s personal amplification. Use and type of an FM system is determined by the educational audiologist.

What kind of training do Audiologists have?

Audiologists have completed both the required undergraduate coursework and a Master’s or Doctoral Degree program in Audiology. All audiologists working in the district must have a valid Clinical or Rehabilitative Services Credential in Audiology, which is obtained through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Some may also be licensed by the state.